Urochyshche “Liakhivshchyna” (“Liakhivshchyna” Isolated Terrain)
“Liakhivshchyna” Forest was partially planted on the site of a virgin forest during Polish rule in the 1930s. It is the place of the execution of Jews, who lived in the Hrushvytsia village.
Northward of the Persha Hrushvytsia village, on the way to the Diadkovychi village.
The first historical evidence that the Jewish population lived in Hrushvytsia dates back to 1604. The inventory of the Czartoryski Polish princely family estates, to which Hrushvytsia belonged at the time, stated that a Jewish family rented an inn from the lord for 125 Polish złoty.
In 1765, there were 23 Jews living in Hrushvytsia who belonged to the Klevan Qahal (Jewish community administration, politically autonomous body, a form of social self-government).
On September 30, 1921, during the Polish census, 1,842 inhabitants lived in Hrushvytsia and 42 out of them were Jews.
Before World War II, 10 families (about 50 people) of Jewish nationality lived in the village. Most of the houses were located at the modern address: vul. Tsentralna from the intersection with vul. Haharina to the intersection with vul. Kravchuka. 1 house was located at provulok Druzhby, 1 house at vul. Kravchuka, and one more Jewish family lived in the Omeliana area.
According to the registration of Jews conducted by the Reichskommissariat Ukraine, on October 13, 1941, 12 people lived in Hrushvytsia Ukrainska and 26 people lived in Hrushvytsia Cheska.
Jewish families owned almost all the shops in the village, bought goods from the population and sold them in Rivne and vice versa. For instance, Ikhel (Yechiel) Halperyn and the Kobylianski family had retail shops. It is also known that in Yechiel’s house one of the rooms served as a shtiebel (a place used for communal Jewish prayer, which was used as a synagogue in the community). At the same time there was a school where Jews taught their children to write in Hebrew; this house is still preserved (vul. Kravchuka, 26).
In mid-October 1942, it was announced that all Jews from the village would be transported to another location (the authorities ordered to take the most valuable items and prepare to leave). About 30 Jews were taken to the Liakhivshchyna Forest and were forced to dig pits. Their belongings were confiscated. They were ordered to undress, after which everyone was shot. However, about 20 Jews managed to hide in Hrushvytsia and the surrounding villages. Most of them survived.
The execution of the Hrushvytsia Jews took place in the forest between October 17 and 30, 1942.
- Number of Hillforts: - 5
- Number of Springs: - 2
- Number of Attractions: - 7
- Number of Monuments: - 4